Marjorie Anne Swanson Johnson was born on April 10, 1929. She passed away peacefully in her sleep on September 5, 2013. Marge was 84 years old
Marge was born in Highlanding Township, MN, the youngest of 10 children to John and Anna Swanson. She attended school in a one room schoolhouse named ‘Old Glory’ there, and at one point in her schooling she was taught by her older sister Ethel. She attended 7 and 8th grade in Kent WA, then returned to Thief River Falls and graduated in 1946.
That very same year she married Clayton Orville Johnson, November 24. Clayton and Marge had 2 children, Annelle Marie and Mitchel Carl. In 1950 Clayton and Marge moved to San Diego. They remained there until 1960, then returned to Thief River Falls in 1960 for Clayton’s work. In 1962 the family moved to St James and have remained members of the community since then.
Marge became the Selective Service Administrator in 1963 until 1974. She then worked as the Assistant Judicial Administrator in the state district office. In 1988 Marge became the Court Administrator for Watonwan County. Marge held that position for 20 years until her retirement in 1994.
Marge was very active in her church, First Lutheran of St James. She was involved the food shelf, belonged to the Tuesday club and many other volunteer activities. She enjoyed her family including her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Marge is survived by her husband almost 67 years Clayton, her 2 children Annelle Schofield of St James, MN, Mitch (Tina) Johnson of Clancy, MT; 5 grandchildren, Robert Schofield (Melissa) of Hutchinson, MN, Andrew Schofield (Pauline) of Hutchinson, MN, Grant Schofield(Lois) of Sauk Rapids, MN, Zachary Johnson of Berkeley, CA, and Emma Johnson of Missoula, MT; 7 great grandchildren, Jennifer, Logan, Cameron, Morgan, Sabrina, Clayton, and Truman. Marge is also survived by 2 brothers, John Swanson and Ernie Swanson, and 2 sisters Mabel Olson and Emma Kassa and son in law John Schofield.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be given to the First Lutheran Church of St James.